Disney’s Moana is one of my favorite movies from the last few years. We received a copy last week from our friends at Disney and watched it three times with two different groups of people over the weekend.
When new movies release, I really love doing a movie-themed recipe or craft to enjoy with my family while we watch. Originally I wanted to do something with coconuts, because after seeing Moana in theaters I knew they were a focus in the song “Where You Are“. But it’s not exactly coconut season in Kentucky, so instead, I decided to make Pineapple Fried Rice.
“Where You Are” is just one of the many amazing songs in Moana. In addition to picking up the Moana Blu-ray or DVD, you really should get the Moana soundtrack, too. I like all the songs, with “How Far I’ll Go”, “We Know The Way”, and “I Am Moana” being three of my favorites.
Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1½ T vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked, diced ham
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 T sesame oil
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Cook rice according to package directions; let cool to room temperature.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok on medium-high.
- Add bell pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add diced garlic; cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in diced ham and pineapple pieces. Cook 3-4 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add cooked rice and heat, stirring frequently to keep the rice from sticking. Break up any clumps.
- Push rice to the side of the pan and pour the beaten eggs into the empty well and scramble.
- Mix scrambled eggs into rice.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger. Pour over rice.
- Stir until thoroughly combined and heated through.
As much as I loved the little pig Pua in the movie (even though his screen time was so short, why?) after Moana said “Mmm, that’s good pork!” I didn’t feel bad including the diced ham.
In the beginning of Moana they talk a lot about how the people on the island use every part of the things they can. I decided to embrace their mentality and used the pineapple itself to serve my Pineapple Fried Rice.
You just slice the front of the pineapple off, right in front of the stem, and then cut the pineapple out to make a boat. Use the fresh pineapple in the recipe, and you’ll have a little left over to eat, too.
Hubs isn’t a huge fan of pineapple, and he ate a big bowl of this, so if you’re on the fence about trying Pineapple Fried Rice I encourage you to give it a try. It really is delicious! And don’t forget to pick up a copy of Moana. A movie about love of family and community, it really is one of the best movies of the last few years.