This shop and my cookie cake recipe have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CelebrateWithM #CollectiveBias
Austin has requested a cookie cake for his birthday for as long as I can remember. So when he returned home from paratrooper school just in time to celebrate his 20th, I knew I wanted to make my cookie cake recipe for him.
Birthdays aren’t the only time of year when a cookie cake is requested. Every once in awhile I’ll get a text that says, “Hey, if you’re not busy, could you make me…” And along with a savory dish of some kind (homemade chicken nuggets or white cheddar mac & cheese) will be a cookie cake.
While at Walmart the other day I noticed that there were bags of M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate and M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Peanut. I decided that the red, white & blue mixtures would make a perfectly patriotic addition to my cookie cake recipe.
Red, White & Blue M&M’s® Cookie Cake Recipe
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup M&M's® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate
- ¼ cup M&M's® Red, White, & Blue Peanut, slightly crushed
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter and both kinds of sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, baking soda, salt and flour.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture gradually until fully mixed.
- Stir in both kinds of M&M's®.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press cookie dough into the bottom of a fastened ungreased 9" or 10" springform pan.
- If you don't have a springform pan you can also use a 9" pie plate or a 9" cake pan.
- Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are cooked and the top is set. You want the center to look *just* underdone.
- Turn broiler on high and move the pan to the top rack. Cook the cookie cake until the top is just golden brown, about 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Decorate the top, if desired, using frosting and additional M&M's®.
I was excited to learn that for every bag of red, white & blue candy mix sold at Walmart (in addition to the M&M’s® you can also pick up Skittles®) Mars/Wrigley will be donating a bag to the troops, as well! It’s part of their “1 For You, 1 For the Troops” campaign, that will also include in-store events at some locations.
M&M’s® make a great addition to individual chocolate chip cookies, too. I’ll be baking up a couple of batches for Austin to take to the base with him on drill weekends to share with his fellow Army buddies.
After you make my cookie cake recipe, check out these other patriotic recipes from fellow bloggers. Which is your favorite?