Nearly everything my Gram cooked was homestyle and from scratch. I know that a big part of that was growing up in a time where convenience foods weren’t readily available, but I also think she just enjoyed making her family something special.
My Mom did a lot of from-scratch cooking, too, but she also used a few shortcuts and cooking hacks on occasion. They let her speed the cooking process up on busy nights, without sacrificing the taste or flavor of the food.
Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe
It’s a shortcut I use myself sometimes, like when I make these lasagna roll ups. These lasagna roll ups are an easy, cheesy weeknight dinner your whole family will love. Even Bubbles specifically requests them!
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 container (15oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup grated Romano cheese
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 3 T chopped parsley, divided
- 2½ cups shredded mozerella cheese, divided
- 1 jar Ragú Homestyle Meat Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread enough pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan to lightly coat. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of water until al dente, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, add egg and lightly beat.
- Add ricotta cheese, pepper, salt, and garlic salt and mix well.
- Stir in ⅔ cup grated Parmesan, ⅓ cup grated Romano, 2 cups of shredded mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
- Lay out cooked lasagna noodles on 2 baking sheets.
- Evenly spread a thin layer of cheese mixture down the center of each noodle.
- Spread a spoonful of the meat sauce down each noodle, on top of the sauce.
- Roll each noodle up, jelly roll-style, and place seam side down in prepared baking dish.
- Top the roll ups with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese, ⅓ cup grated Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
- Loosely tent with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
While freshly grated Parmesan and Romano will give you the most flavor, you can definitely use the pregrated stuff. You can even buy a Parmesan & Romano blend; if you use that, just use one full cup. It’s just one more shortcut, along with grabbing a jar of the new Ragú Homestyle Meat Sauce.
What’s funny about these lasagna roll ups is that I prefer them over traditional lasagna. I have no idea why that is, I just do.
Lasagna roll ups freeze really well and they’re great for portion control. Put a little meat sauce in the bottom of a few disposable aluminum mini loaf pans, and tuck in a few of the lasagna roll ups. Grab them out of the freezer for a quick lunch, or when your kiddos request “that cheesy pasta roll”.