This shop and my DIY sponge holder & soap dispenser have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. Opinions are mine, more joyful cleaning can be yours too. #ScotchBriteSponges #CollectiveBias
Small confession: I really don’t like doing the dishes. Laundry, vacuuming, dusting – I can do those all day long. But the dishes? Eh.
In the past I would have said I hate doing the dishes. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned a few tricks to make tasks you dread a little easier.
DIY Mason Jar Kitchen Set
When I was in college my Aunt sent me a care package. She knew how much I disliked doing the dishes so she included a cute pair of pink dish gloves that had flowers on them. I found the dishes a little more tolerable when I had fun gloves to brighten the task.
I expanded the “cute gloves” theory to other parts of dish washing by making my work space cheerful. Small vases dot the windowsill above my sink. And a DIY mason jar soap dispenser and matching DIY mason jar sponge holder sit at the corner of the sink.
Sponge Holder & Soap Dispenser
- pint size mason jar
- half pint size mason jar
- spray paint
- pump (upcycled or purchased separately)
- Remove the inner lid from the metal cap of the half pint jar. Discard or save for another use.
- Make a mark at the center of the inner lid of the pint jar. Drill a hole through the center, making it large enough to slide the pump through. If needed, stick a pair of needle-nose pliers into the hole and twist back and forth to widen the hole.
- Slide pump through the hole. The fit should be snug; if necessary, use some glue to secure the pump to the lid.
- Spray paint both lids, including the pump, in your desired color. Let dry.
- Fill pint jar with dish detergent. Screw caps onto each jar.
- Place dish sponges in half pint jar.
The other half of the equation is having the right tools. And for me, that’s Scotch-Brite sponges. We always have a good stack of both the blue and green sponges under the sink, and one of each in my mason jar sponge holder.
Green Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge are great for heavy-duty messes. I use them to remove the baked-on sauce and cheese from my baked pasta dishes and enchiladas.
Blue Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge are perfect for use on anything you’re worried about scratching, like non-stick cookware, the top of your stove, and counter tops, too.
You can pick up Scotch-Brite™ sponges and soap dispensing wands at Target. Don’t forget to load the Target Cartwheel offer for 10% off a 9-pack of sponges now through September 3rd.