This shop and my Butterfinger Brownie Trifle recipe have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone – but the deliciousness can easily be yours! #mixinmoments #CollectiveBias
Trifle recipes are some of my favorite. Most parties, BBQs or potlucks we attended had one, and often is was made by my Mom. Hers were mostly chocolate, though sometimes she experimented with new flavor combinations.
I’m not sure why I don’t make them as often as my Mom did. For the minimal amount of prep and cooking time, they have a big visual payoff. All those different layers look – and taste! – so yummy.
Butterfinger Brownie Trifle Recipe
One of hubs favorite desserts is brownies. So when I got my most recent craving for a trifle I decided to switch up my Mom’s tried-and-true chocolate and candy bar combo by using brownies for my base. You’ll love how quickly these come together!
- 1 box of NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Brownies & More Chocolate Baking Mix with Butterfinger Baking Pieces, plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- whipped topping or homemade whipped cream
- Prepare brownies according to directions on package, reserving the last ⅓ cup of Butterfingers pieces. (Instead of spreading them on top of the brownies.)
- While the brownies bake, prepare pudding according to directions on package. Refrigerate.
- When brownies are done cooking, let cool completely.
- Using a large serving trifle dish or individual trifle dishes, break up brownies and layer in bottom of dish.
- Spoon prepared pudding over brownies.
- Spoon whipped cream or whipped topping over pudding.
- Repeat layers until you reach the top (it will be determined by the size of your dish).
- Top with reserved ⅓ cup of crushed Butterfingers.
- Chill until ready to serve.
My Mom’s trifle recipe always called for crushed candy, too, but with these new Nestle Toll House Baking Mixes I found at Meijer, I can skip worrying about smashing the counter (or my fingers). They include a bag of either chocolate morsels or Butterfinger pieces, depending on which of the four varieties (Brownies & More with Butterfinger or morsels, or Cookies & More with Butterfinger or morsels) you purchase. These versatile mixes have no artificial flavors or colors, too.
Because there are candy pieces baked right into the brownies (yum!) I skipped adding more crushed candy on top of each whipped cream layer. You can definitely layer it in if you’d like, though. Try peanut butter pudding in place of the chocolate pudding for a different flavor twist, too.