What are the benefits of babywearing?
Shortly after Bubbles was born, we started our attempts at babywearing. At the time, she was so tiny, that with the carriers that we were trying, it was difficult to find a secure fit. As she got older and grew (and grew – into the 90th percentile for height!) it fortunately got a little easier, sizing-wise. It was nice to have her close and have my hands free at the same time, plus it gave her a different view of the world now and then.
There are a lot of other great reasons for babywearing and Britax recently shared with me these ten tips from Jamie Grayson, otherwise known as “TheBabyGuyNYC” (you may have recently caught him on Martha Stewart or the Today Show). If you’re not familiar with Jamie, I definitely would check his site out; he is very funny, very informative, and has lots of great info (and giveaways!). Here are his top ten.
- Happy Baby: One thing that stresses parents out the most is a fussy nugget, and according to a study in Pediatrics, babies who are worn for at least 3 hours throughout a day have reduced crying by 43 percent1
- Aides in Development: The first three months of a newborn’s life are often referred to as “The Fourth Trimester,” and carrying a new nugget close to your heart helps her adapt to life outside the womb by becoming familiar with your breathing rhythm, heartbeat and voice.2
- Feeding on the Fly: Have a hungry nugget and you’re out and about? Breastfeeding can be easily accomplished while wearing a baby.
- Hands-Free Traveling: Jet setting with the family? Of course you’ll need a stroller when you’re traveling to and from your destination, but try gate checking your stroller and boarding with your snuggling nugget in a baby carrier. It’s amazing how “handy” two free hands can be!
- Keeping up with Life: A comfortable baby carrier offers the wearer the freedom to complete routine household chores while sharing the time with your little nugget.
- Keep Moving: For people who like to get outside, wearing a baby is an ideal way to navigate everything from the concrete jungle to cobblestone streets. You can conquer any terrain with a baby carrier.
- Bonding can be Shared: Wearing a baby is a great way for partners, dads, grandparents, adoptive parents and other caregivers to bond with your baby. You carried him for nine months…Let someone else enjoy carrying him, too!
- Calm Babies are Observant: Babies who are worn are usually calmer, allowing them to appreciate the world around them. A calmed baby is better able to observe social cues and develop healthy relationships.
- Shopping is Less Taxing: Grocery Run? It is so much easier to wear a baby and push a shopping cart than to navigate with shopping cart and stroller. Leave the stroller at home and enjoy shopping baby.
- Sleeping Baby = Peace of Mind: Nothing beats the feeling of looking down and seeing a sleeping nugget on your chest. Just unbuckle the front of the carrier and lay nugget down without even waking her up! Ahhhhh….Peace for everyone!
1 Hunziker, U. A. and Barr, R, G. (1986). Increased carrying reduces infant crying: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics, 77, 641-8, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3517799
2 Ludington-Hoe SM, Swinth JY. (1996). Developmental aspects of kangaroo care. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 25, 691-703