I’m always excited to attend the Macy’s Culinary Council events that take place at the Oxmoor Center here in Louisville. There’s usually one that takes place right before the Derby so I’m able to get recipe inspiration for our Kentucky Derby party from the chefs that participate.
This year celebrity Chefs Rick Bayless and Anthony Lamas will be in attendance sharing their favorite recipes for race day. Recipes like Rick Bayless’ Pecan Sandies Shortbread which I recently made and am sharing below. Thank you to Everywhere Agency and Macy’s for sponsoring this post.
Pecan Sandies Shortbread
- 3oz pecan halves
- 1½ cups + 2 T flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 5.5oz (about ⅜ cup) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼-1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Arrange pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 10 minutes, until fragrant.
- Let cool. Reduce oven temp to 325.
- Pulse toasted pecans in a food processor until finely ground (you can also just use a knife to chop them up very finely).
- Place pecans in a small bowl; add flour, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and pecan mixture and mix on low until just blended.
- Shape dough into 1" balls and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet, leaving an inch or so between each one.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until lightly brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- When cookies have cooled, roll them in the confectioner's sugar to coat.
These were so quick and easy to make, something I would definitely make to serve at my next Derby party. There are lots of other recipes by Chef Bayless that you might enjoy, too.
I’m excited to see what Chefs Bayless and Lamas cook up at the upcoming Culinary Council event at Macy’s Oxmoor Center on May 3rd, 2017. If you are in the Louisville, KY area, I would love to see you there! The event is FREE and if you RSVP by calling 1-844-362-5907 you’ll also receive a $10 Macy’s gift card when you arrive.