This pumpkin spice buttercream frosting recipe is sponsored by International Delight. All thoughts and words are my own.
Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve really been enjoying the onset of fall and all the things that go with that. Corn mazes and pumpkin patches, football, and sampling all the flavors of fall.
One of my favorite fall flavors is pumpkin spice. By the volume of Pinterest pins, commercials, and Facebook commentary surrounding pumpkin spice, apparently I’m not alone. Whether it’s sipping pumpkin spice coffee or eating pumpkin spice muffins, it’s everywhere you turn.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
Most recently, I made some Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting. I love buttercream; it’s my favorite part of a cupcake. Really you can slice the top of a cupcake off, and as long as it’s topped with buttercream, I don’t need the other piece.
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 pkg (4 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 8 oz sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T International Delight Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill wells of your cupcake pans with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, water and oil.
- Beat on low 30 seconds; scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Pour cake mix into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter and shortening.
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, beating until well-combined.
- Add liquid coffee creamer. Continue beating until creamy.
- If your frosting is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar until desired consistency. If it's too stiff, add a little more coffee creamer.
You certainly can use your own favorite “from scratch” chocolate cake recipe. I do myself on occasion. But this is my favorite recipe for cake that starts with a box and then gets fancied up a little. It’s the recipe I used the first time I baked my now-husband cupcakes and he was smitten (with me, and not just the cupcakes!).
Pair these with a cup of coffee with a splash of International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice coffee creamer and you have the perfect dessert to share with friends. Check out International Delight on Pinterest for more #PumpkinDelight ideas. And don’t forget to sign up for the International Delight community; you’ll be in the know and have the chance to win prizes.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy pumpkin spice?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.