Since marrying a southern boy I have been doing my best to learn more southern cooking. One of the first things I made sure I learned was how to make cornbread, as he likes it with almost anything. And because everyone said it was the “real” way to do it, I learned how to make a skillet cornbread recipe.
A homemade skillet cornbread recipe is great because it only takes about five minutes to mix up and then you toss it in the oven. Then about twenty minutes later you have golden brown cornbread with those crispy edges and crunch bottom. So, so delicious.
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup shortening, melted
- 2 T butter
- Set your skillet inside the oven.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (with skillet in the oven).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a second bowl add the egg and lightly beat.
- To the egg add both the milk and buttermilk; mix well.
- Add in baking soda and mix again.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined. Don't over mix; batter will still be a little lumpy.
- Drizzle in melted shortening.
- Carefully remove skillet from the oven and add in the butter. When butter is melted (put it back in the oven for a minute if need be) pour batter into skillet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.
This skillet cornbread recipes pairs well with so many things. I serve it with chili, my corn chowder, my chop suey and lots more. It also pairs really well with a number of Hamburger Helper meals, like Chili Macaroni.
I remember having Hamburger Helper now and then as a kid but until my husband, I hadn’t cooked it in a few years. Not long after we started dating he made me dinner – Cheesy Italian Shells. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted and it’s been on our “need something quick and easy” rotation ever since.
Right now when you buy any three varieties of Hamburger Helper you can get free ground beef! If you’re going to be cooking anyway, why not get it free, right? Just print out the rebate form and submit it along with your receipt showing your purchase of three boxes of Hamburger Helper and a pound of ground beef. And don’t forget to try my skillet cornbread recipe with whichever variety you buy!