On Saturday I headed out to run a few errands. While I had probably a dozen different places I needed to go after my second stop I headed back in the direction of home. Note to self: shopping the Saturday before Christmas unless it’s really, absolutely necessary is a bad idea.
Thanks to Lunchbox for sponsoring this post. Words and recipe are my own.
Left with a few suddenly unscheduled hours on my hands I decided it was a good time to do a little holiday baking. Earlier in December I put together my yearly gifts of food: trays, tins, and baskets filled with favorite treats and then delivered to our friends and family. But I did still need a few sweets for our own family and a couple of things for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Mocha Dream Cupcakes
Hubby had requested cupcakes earlier in the week, a request that was postponed when Bubbles started to not feel well. But with her rebounding it was time to wave the cupcake wand and make them appear.
- For the Cake:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients called for on box
- Maxwell House coffee (strong), brewed and cooled
- ½ cup Breakstone's sour cream
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- For the Frosting:
- ¾ cup Breakstone's sour cream
- 2 T powdered sugar
- 1 cup COOL WHIP, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Make cake mix according to the box directions, substituting the brewed coffee for the water called for.
- Blend in ½ cup sour cream and cinnamon.
- Pour into prepared cupcake wells and bake according to box directions. Cool completely.
- Cut cone-shaped piece out of top of each cupcake; reserve for later use.
- Whisk powdered sugar and ¾ cup sour cream in medium bowl until blended; stir in COOL WHIP.
- Spoon into resealable plastic bag; cut corner off one bottom corner of bag (or use a piping bag).
- Fill the well on top of each cupcake with the COOL WHIP mixture.
- Top with reserved cake pieces, pressing gently into COOL WHIP mixture to secure.
- Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
These Mocha Dream Cupcakes are one of the top-pinned recipes from Kraft Foods. I can absolutely see why considering that they’re so good. If you haven’t “doctored up” a box cake mix with sour cream before, you’ve been missing out – it makes them really moist.
I’d also love to have you enter to win 1 of 5 $50 Walmart gift cards! Just enter on the form below for your chance. Giveaway closed.