I love making casseroles all year long, particularly for their time-saving benefits. They generally don’t take too many ingredients, and usually they’re ones I already have on hand. The prep time is minimal for most recipes, and then you just put it in the oven to bake while you go take care of other tasks.
Having a few go-to casserole recipes can help simplify your holidays and keep stress at bay. Guests drop in unexpectedly? No problem! They also are great gifts, too. Trust me – there isn’t one person on your list that wouldn’t love the gift of a home-cooked meal that they didn’t have to make for themselves.
My Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe is a mash-up of a number of different ones that I’ve tried with tweaks that make it a family-favorite. We occasionally eat it for dinner, I make it for weekend brunch, and it gets served in the morning on Christmas while everyone recuperates from opening gifts.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- ½ bag frozen shredded potatoes
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 1½ c shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- ½ C milk
- ¼ C heavy cream
- Spray an 8x8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Evenly spread the frozen shredded potatoes in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the pepper, onion powder, and salt.
- Cover potatoes with cheese. Set aside.
- Cook breakfast sausage over medium-low heat until crumbly and no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- Layer cooked sausage over the cheese.
- In a small bowl, gently beat eggs. Whisk in milk and cream; pour mixture over the potatoes, cheese, and sausage.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.