I skipped over Tasty Tuesday this week so that I could bring you a recipe using the fresh Zaycon Foods chicken that we picked up this week.
Chicken is one of those things that while really versatile, I often find myself making it in the same four or five ways every time: Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese, Chicken Chimichangas, fried chicken, homemade chicken nuggets or baked chicken with Lawry’s. So I decided to change things up and play around a little bit with the chicken I made for dinner last night. I used only what I had already stocked in the pantry and while it’s not going to win any Iron Chef competitions, Cheesy Stuffed Chicken is something I’ll make again sometime!
Cheesy Stuffed Chicken
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 C shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
1 sm. can mushroom pieces
1/2 C honey mustard dressing
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking dish wish cooking spray (you may want to line with aluminum foil; the honey mustard sauce will bake off a little).
- With a sharp knife, cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast.
- Stuff pocket with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and about half of the mushrooms (whatever fits).
- Sprinkle each breast with 1/4 tsp. (1/8th on each side). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish and cover each breast with 1/4 C of honey mustard dressing.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45, or until cooked through.
Serves 2-4 (depending on the size of your chicken breasts).
I was pleased not only with how well the impromptu recipe turned out but also with the quality of the Zaycon Foods chicken. We’ll definitely have this again (and maybe stuff it with a few more ingredients).