Tasty Tuesday: Peanut Butter Cookies
I was in the baking mood over the weekend and felt like baking some cookies. I knew if I made chocolate chip cookies I’d end up eating more of them than I wanted to, so I decided to make peanut butter cookies, which are a favorite of my husband. I like them, too, but not so much that I’d be too tempted. They also fairly fast to pull together, and I always have the ingredients on hand. Definitely a vote in their favor.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 T milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together the flour, both sugars, salt and baking soda.
- Beat in the eggs, milk, peanut butter and shortening until dough pulls together.
- Roll into small balls then roll the balls in sugar; place on a baking sheet. Press down slightly with tines of a fork.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until cookies start to brown. Cookies will continue to cook a little while cooling.
They’re also very yummy when you turn them into Peanut Butter Blossoms. Just press an unwrapped Hershey’s Kiss into the center of each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven (the tops will crack a little).