I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this Ooka Island Ambassadorship via Splash Media Engagement. All words and opinions are my own.
I have loved to read for as long as I can remember. Whether reading with my father at bedtime, or curled up in a nook in our playroom by myself, books were a favorite pastime. We try to make sure that Bubbles has this same foundation, as well; we read with her multiple times per day, and she reads quietly on her own, too.
Like mother, like daughter, it seems.
Unfortunately, not every child loves reading, and sometimes that has to do with the fact that they’re struggling. In fact, today 68% of 5-year-olds will be behind in reading by fourth grade and 78% of those children will never catch up (National Assessment of Educational Progress, 2011). This is a problem because literacy is important not only on an academic level, but economic and social levels, too.
This is where Ooka Island comes in. Ooka Island is a learn-to-read adventure geared towards children ages 3-7. They use science-based reading methods and technology with a goal of teaching children to read well through instruction that is fun and compelling.
Ooka Island is already being used by millions of families and schools in 30 countries which may have to do with the fact that it’s the only adaptive reading program based on research-based methodology and scientifically proven results. As a former teacher, myself, I know when you combine solid methodology with fun, you’ll generally see positive results.
The creator of Ooka Island, Dr. Kay MacPhee, started out with an Eye-Ear Reading Method that was available through tutor-based programs. It was extremely successful, with 4- and 5-year-olds learning to read in 20-30 hours, on average. Technology allowed for the development of Ooka Island, though, and now that same age group is learning to read in 8-13 hours!
An Ooka Island Subscription
So, what exactly does a subscription to Ooka Island provide? All of the following:
- 80 hours of research-based curriculum for preschool to 2nd grade
- Over 500 sequenced lessons with 7,000 discrete learning objectives
- Guided progression through 24 levels in a variety of 3D, virtual world environments
- A built-in e-Reader designed specifically to teach reading with highlighting and narration
- 85 original Ooka Island e-Books, leveled and sequenced from preschool to 2nd grade
- A fun and engaging learning flow cycle that motivates and supports each child’s journey
- Comprehensive online progress reporting for parents and educators
- Access to the Ooka Bookstore featuring all 85 e-Books and guides in print
- Free motivational tools, workbooks and a musical soundtrack app in iTunes
- Curriculum alignment with Common Core State Standards for K-1
The entire program also uses an integrated, science-based approach to the five pillars of reading: Phonemic Awareness, Phonological Development, Fluency, Vocabulary, and Reading Comprehension.
How to Get Reading + Exclusive Discount
To use Ooka Island, you just need to download the program to your PC or MAC. Subscriptions are available on a monthly or annual basis for one child or an entire family. The software is also available to purchase for schools, too.
For a limited time you can get 30% off ANY Ooka Island subscription (excluding school licenses). This is double the discount currently on their site, so be sure to click the link or image above to get yourself the best possible deal!