The other day I was shopping at Sam’s Club and I saw something interesting in the freezer case. Pretzel-Crusted Mozzarella Sticks. They sounded amazing and I wondered why on Earth no one had thought of them before.
I knew our freezer was packed full, so instead I just took a picture of the box to remind me of them for later. (Am I the only weirdo that does that? I’m always taking pictures of things I want to try later or look up review of online.) When I got home I was talking to hubby about them and then it dawned on me: why don’t I just make my own?
And so I did. They are really easy to make and there’s a good chance that you have most, if not all, the ingredients already on hand. Not counting freezing time they take less than 15 minutes to make so you can be munching on ooey, gooey melted cheese with a bit of a crunchy, salty exterior in no time flat.
Pretzel-Crusted Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 12 pieces mozzarella string cheese, halved
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 T flour
- 2 C crushed pretzels
- marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- Cut each string cheese stick in half. Place pieces in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dip fingers in water to lightly wet cheese sticks.
- Roll cheese in flour; dip in beaten egg.
- Coat each piece of cheese in crushed pretzels, pressing to adhere.
- Place on baking sheet; bake for 7 minutes, or until cheese just starts to spread.
- Serve immediately, pairing with marinara sauce for dipping (if desired).
These turned out to be really awesome. I’ll be serving these for tailgating, family movie night, lots of times. I’ll probably keep a bag of string cheese halves in the freezer for whenever the craving strikes or if guests drop in.