The college basketball tournament will be starting soon and we’re all pretty excited. Hopefully the Cats will manage to sneak in this year (it hasn’t really been the best year for the UK men’s basketball team) so that we can cheer for them. Even if they don’t, we’ll definitely be watching the games.
I don’t know about you but when we watch something special like a once-per-year tournament I like to make special snacks or meals to help celebrate. I wanted to make something that we could eat over the course of a few days so that we could enjoy it during most of the games. So I decided to make “Madness Munch”. Bubbles of course wanted to help – she loves to help me in the kitchen and I love to have the help. This recipe is fast and easy to make and you can customize it to fit the tastes of your family.
- ½ pkg. white almond bark
- 1 pkg. microwave popcorn
- 1 box (theater-size) Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup pretzels, coarsely crushed
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ T shortening
- Pop popcorn according to package instructions. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or waxed paper.
- Once popcorn is cool, spread over the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle Reese's Pieces, almond pieces, and pretzels pieces over the popcorn.
- Melt the almond bark in the microwave according to package instructions.
- Pour melted bark over the top of the popcorn mix, coating well. Allow to harden and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir thoroughly. Drizzle across the top of the popcorn mix.
- Allow to cool completely (chocolate will not harden quite as much as the bark). Break into pieces and store in an air-tight container.